Technology has fundamentally altered the ways in which information is accessed, communicated, and transferred in society. As a result, educators are continually adapting their means and methods of instruction, and the way they approach student learning, to incorporate the vast, diverse, and unique resources available through the internet. Tolton utilizes technology so that students can acquire the skills and knowledge to learn effectively and live productively in a digital world.
Students are required to bring a device (BYOD) for use at school. Recommended devices that interface well with Tolton’s technology systems include Chromebooks and laptops (Macintosh and Windows). Please note, Tolton is not responsible for the upkeep or repairs of any device.
All students are to pay an annual $50 technology fee, included with the tuition statement, to help defray the costs of bandwidth, servers, access points, and other network expenses.
Tolton Minimum Requirements for BYOD Devices
- Operating System: Mac OS 10.7 or above, Windows 7 or higher, or Google Chromium OS (Chromebooks — self-updating OS)
- Wireless Connection: Devices must have wireless capability.
- Battery Life: Devices should be expected to last a minimum of 5 hours with normal use. Opportunities to charge devices in school are limited and subject to teacher discretion.
- Storage and RAM: Recommended to have a minimum of 16GB of storage on the device and 4GB of RAM for most operating systems; however, 2GB of RAM may be sufficient for some devices.
- Screen Size: Tolton recommends a minimum of an 11” screen.
- Input Devices: A device with a keyboard is a minimum requirement as is a mouse, trackpad, or other pointing device. Some touch screens may meet this requirement, such as a Microsoft Surface Pro, but we strongly discourage use of tablets, both Android and Apple (iPads) at this time.
- Special Features: Camera and microphone will ensure students can participate in 21st century learning activities and collaboration. (Optional)
- Headphones / Earbuds (Optional)
- A protective case is strongly recommended regardless of the device.
Additional recommendations: Document your device serial number at home; place a label with the student’s name on the device and all cables and accessories; password protect your device.